An ecommerce website is a must for every business that intends to sell their products online. It could be a way to augment the sales of your brick-and-mortar store, or a way to transition your business to operating solely online.
Before you jump at the first offer you see for an ecommerce website, it’s best to learn how to create an online store from the ground up.
This article will guide you through the simple steps of creating an online store.
- Get the right domain name for your website. If possible, get the one that contains your business name. If it’s not available, purchase one that’s closest to your business name. You can easily check the availability through the most common platforms like GoDaddy.
Please be aware, though, that you may find domain registries advertising incredibly low prices on domain names (such as ‘Get Your Domain for Just $1!’). There’s always a catch. Domain names are regulated by ICANN, an international agencies overseeing domain name registration. The cost of a domain is generally universal (if it isn’t ‘owned’ by anyone yet). A company advertising domain registry rates below the average usually have a catch, such as requiring you to host your site with them. Avoid these traps.
2. Build a website on your own through a website builder platform online. If you’re budget-conscious or you just want to have total control of your website creation project, a website builder is the best option for you. This way, you can launch your online store in the shortest time possible. You can start building your website from scratch simply by dragging and dropping different elements to the page you’re making. You won’t need any coding background to launch an online store with the right website builder. Or you can:
3. Find a web developer to start creating your site. If you have enough of a budget, find a good web developer to build your website. Make sure to ask the right questions when searching for a web developer, like how long will it take them to build your site and how much it will cost for the whole project. Also check if they have a graphic design background so they can ensure that the visual elements are in line with your brand.
4. Find a theme that reflects your business. Now that you’ve identified a way to build an ecommerce website, it’s time to think about design elements. It’s important to find a unifying theme you believe reflects your business. This improves the visitor experience as the cohesiveness of all your pages helps establish your brand’s identity. Design elements can include the same structure across pages, sections layouts, buttons, etc.
5. Properly list your products and services for sale. Your product offering is the heart of your ecommerce website. Take time to create proper product descriptions for these items and highlight the key features that will make them attractive to customers.
6. Keep an open communication line with your customers. Your ecommerce website will be visited by people wanting to learn more about your offerings. There would be product or pricing inquiries, so you want to have a messaging system in place so they can reach out to you anytime, anywhere. This live chat also builds trust and personal connections with your customers. If they can reach you directly, it’s likely they’ll be biased towards you. Look for a website builder with a chat feature to add to your website, wherein you can set automatic replies or be able to reply directly to their questions.
7. Use a unique, engaging Call-To-Action. Having a CTA that’s unique to your brand can help visitors remember your website even more. Create something that piques their interest, aside from the usual “buy now.”
8. Have a working payment feature in place. When building an ecommerce website, you will need a proper payment method integrated. You should be able to process payments online, so choose one that lets you process different modes of transaction.
Following the above-mentioned steps, you’re closer to processing your first sale on your website. The key is to be diligent on your search for the platform where you’ll create your ecommerce website. There are several paid options that will let you create a website from their set of templates. There are also cost-efficient options like semilimes, which is free to use and has video tutorials to help. You’ll have access to a full-featured website builder, plus other useful business tools like accounting, sales management, inventory, among others.
31 May 2019 09:06
The web portal theme defines the overall look and feel of your web site. This includes effects like color scheme, layout and style elements. The theme can be adjusted and tailored to your requirements.
30 May 2019 09:42
semilimes is currently making major improvements across the platform. Below is a list of some updates we’ve made during the past week.
29 May 2019 12:03
You can create your own web portal or full-fledged e-commerce shop by using semilimes web builder. There are two ways to build a web portal on semilimes platform...